Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Kid in Us All

In a pre-fair interview on a local radio station a couple years ago, the interviewer finished the interview with the observation, “Well, Bob, you sound like a kid in a candy store.” I replied, “I work in a 162 acre candy store.”

I love the work I do. Most of my career choices have been made because of my love of fairs. As a child growing up across the road from our county fair in Boonville, NY, I was aware of everything that went on at those fairgrounds from the earliest stages of preparation to the final cleanup.

As a kid, most every year, the carnival would start moving a ride or two onto the fairgrounds the week before the fair. When I saw that first ride truck, I would hop on my bicycle, tear over to the fairgrounds and just sit and stare. I can even remember the make of the truck. It was an old Diamond T.

Well, last week, little Bobby Grems got excited all over again. Powers Great American Midways, the outstanding carnival operation that provides the rides, games, and some of the food for the Dutchess County Fair pulled their first ride onto the fairgrounds. The kid in me jumped for joy. This must mean that we are in the final countdown stages for our August 24th through 29th Dutchess County Fair.

A good county fair is many things. But, it is certainly the sights, sounds, bright lights, and aromas of a carnival midway. I can’t do the rides anymore but I sure did as a child. Getting to know the family that owned the carnival that played our fair, I had unlimited free ride passes. I rode to my hearts content. The Tilt-A-Whirl, Scrambler, Ferris Wheel, Dive Bomber. Oh, the memories. Today’s modern carnival makes those “antiques” seem timid in comparison. Rides today throw you in the air to new heights, twirl you around at break neck speeds, turn you upside down and inside out. No, I can only look now and marvel at how far the mobile carnival industry has progressed.

For families that might not be considering a long trip to a major amusement park or even a closer theme park, all of the fun and excitement of carnival rides are driving distance away (or train or bus ride) in Rhinebeck, NY. The rides have changed but the “thrill a minute” fun and action is still very much available. Plan a trip. Bring your kids and the kid inside. Little Bobby Grems will be waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment