Thursday, July 15, 2010

Meet Bob

My home is upstate NY in a wooded area with a pond as part of my sprawling front yard. (Sorry, I only rent!) This spring, I have been able to watch a pair of Canadian Geese raise their goslings, now to full maturity. I try never to take nature for granted. The birds, deer, squirrels and chipmunks give me great pause for reflection each day.


I love NY City. I love the contrast of the quaint and quiet Rhinebeck to the hustle and bustle of NY. I left my Canadian geese this past weekend for a trip to the city. While enjoying Bryant Park, I was welcomed back to nature when a mother duck and eight chicks wandered around the massive marble fountain in the park. The stir of excitement this created with park visitors was just amazing. I immediately thought, imagine the reaction of these city inhabitants to the hundreds and hundreds of farm animals we have just 2 hours north at the Dutchess County Fair.


We are all of the earth, the land, the sea. Something inside us draws us back to nature. We are literally fed by nature. Agriculture and farming are part of all that is natural. No place on earth do we better showcase agriculture than at a wonderful county fair. If, like me, you are inclined to look to nature for pleasure, sustenance, and growth, mark your calendar for visit to Rhinebeck for the 165thDutchess County Fair. The ducks and chicks and all of their farm friends will be waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment