Friday, July 30, 2010

It All Began Here


I’m sitting on the front porch of the home where I grew up. Today is set up day for the Boonville-Oneida County Fair. A flood of memories and emotions visits me here. One of my very earliest recollections, when I was probably no more than 3 or 4, is looking out the big picture window onto the fairgrounds. I knew it was fair week again or at least realized that wonderful “happening” across the street with the exciting rides, bright lights and fun was back. I recall my first “job”, selling my mom’s homemade lemonade for $1.00 a gallon to the men setting up the tents.

I was introduced to the children of the carnival operator over on the big rock where travel trailers were parked. That was our meeting spot for many, many years. I started helping set up and tear down rides at such an early age that my parents came looking for me one Saturday night, long after bedtime. The fair was my summer job in college. I did everything from pick up garbage to writing press releases. I also did a little PA announcing and it was from this experience that the famed auto stunt driver, Joie Chitwood, invited me to join his traveling stunt show one summer’s morning at breakfast. I went on to be the “voice” of the Joie Chitwood Thrill Show for 14 seasons.

When my mom’s health declined several years ago, I returned to oversee her care and again became involved in the fair. I started a program to bring less advantaged children to the fair. “Ideal Country Holiday” moved to the Dutchess County Fair with me. We will entertain over 1,000 children and their chaperones for a free day at the fair again this year.

It all came from here. This place, the professional life I have loved. While I have moved on to management of the wonderful Dutchess County Fair, my heart remains in the little fair, in the little town of Boonville. On second thought, I like to think I have a big heart, certainly big enough to hold great affection for two wonderful county fairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment